Thursday, February 14, 2008

({}) Yes, that's a vagina emoticon

OK, let's all face it. Valentine's Day is stupid. I'm not just being bitter and single. If you think about it, really, it's a ridiculous holiday. There's really nothing behind it except jewelry and Russel Stover. I mean, I loves me some chocolate and things that sparkle, but I have never understood why we have to dictate a single day to give them as gifts.

Anyhoo, I adore how Eve Ensler and her Vagina Monologues cohorts have made today V-Day, which is a day of awareness to end violence against women.

Sounds great, right? It is. But it probably doesn't com as a surprise to anyone that anti-feminist groups oppose the idea, saying it "kills romance." This includes *cough* lovely people like Lori Gottlieb, who recently wrote an article about how women over 30 should settle and marry any man who will take them. Seriously. I couldn't make that up. There's even this sickening, anti-feminist poster at the Independent Women's Forum website (The name makes them sound like a feminist group, no? yeah, they're clearly not):


Try not to gag.

Awesome blogger Ann at Feministing has created a pretty fantastic parody of it:


Much better. :) Plus, anything using an image from The Simpsons can't be ALL bad, right?

Sorry, I know those pictures are too wide for this page...I'm not all that spectacular with HTML so I don't know how to shrink them, or if it's even possible. Putting in pictures and links with the occasional boldface or italic is as far as I can go.

1 comment:

Athalos said...

That's also a "Big Hug" if you're on a crackberry.. um. Blackberry