Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ugh, Gag

OK, I just noticed this on CNN's Political Ticker: an incredibly deep article claiming Scarlett Johansson has a crush on Obama. Why? Because she sends him emails, he personally responds and she is impressed by that.

I can see why she'd be impressed - I can't imagine someone on the Presidential campaign trail has a ton of free time to personally answer e-mails, considering he probably receives thousands a day. I would assume most people who e-mail him get either a) nothing or b) a form response. I'm sure her name on the message is motivation for a reply - because now there will be Political Ticker articles about what a great guy he is for personally responding to her.

But - crush? Seriously? I'm finding that a little offensive, because to me it's making the assumption that because a young woman is impressed by a man's actions, she must have some kind of romantic designs on him. The womenz don't have enough emotional levels to appreciate an action without some sort of "crush."

Maybe no one agrees with me, but this particular clip really got to my gag reflex.

2 comments:

Veronica said...

I think early in the primary she made some sort of quote about having a crush on him...Yes, totally tongue-in-cheek, but ya know how the press is.


http://www.pleasantmorningbuzz.com/cgi-bin/buzz.pl?buzz=126081

Liza said...

They should have mentioned that in the political ticker, then. The article only said she was impressed with his actions, and the headline mentioned a crush. It looks like quite a leap if you only look at CNN's article.