Monday, March 31, 2008

Because 6 Is The New 14.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who read the occasional Sweet Valley High book (and, you know, played the board game and read the spinoff books). The series started in 1983 and ran for about 20 years and inspired multiple spinoffs. They are now being re-released, but with certain changes.

As I'm sure we all remember, in every frickin' SVH book we had to hear how the beautiful and lovely blond twins were "a perfect size 6." Well, in order to further their already amazing blond perfection, in the re-release the twins will now be "a perfect size 4." Because, you know, it wasn't damaging enough to girls to hear that a 6 was "perfect," so making perfection smaller seemed like a good idea. I have an idea, let's go ahead and make them a size 0, and make the school's "fat girl" Lois Waller a massive size 10 or something equally damaging.

Also, the twins no longer share a Fiat. Now it's a Jeep. Why an SUV is cooler than a Fiat, I don't know.

Plus, Elizabeth is now the editor of the school website instead of the school paper. Because high schools have completely done away with print newspapers.

I have a sick desire to reread these books. I know how awful and stereotypical and damaging they are; it's like a car accident, I can't look away.

I guess I could go to the LiveJournal group dedicated to snarking the books.

No comments: